Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dana says: Within the first few pages of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens I had to stop and wonder why on earth I had waited 36 years to read him! I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think its pretty safe to say that after reading just one of his books, I already love him. Had I no other reading responsibilities I would spend all of 2016 soaking up all the Dickens I could.

A Christmas Carol is a familiar enough story, as it has been represented in so many different film adaptations over the years but it seems to me nothing was quite like reading it. Dickens greatest strength lies the in power of his description and I only wish my own vocabulary greater so that I could do him justice when trying to praise his writing. From the ghost of Marley (shake those chains!) to the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future Dickens does a superb job of telling a fantastic story that delights and disturbs the reader, all the while making the reader search his or her own heart in regards to the many issues Dickens brings up in A Christmas Carol. I really loved this book and now understand why my good friend Betsy reads it every year at Christmas time. Count me in and bring on more Dickens!
 


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love Charles Dickens, and each year that I read A Christmas Carol, there is something new and fresh that sticks out to me. One of the most interesting parts of Scrooge's redemption is that he is visited as an old man. No one is past hope! A life may be redeemed at any stage (as in the parable of the workers in the vineyard, where the same wages are given to those that merely worked an hour). Love Dickens so much, and can't wait to see what the ladies' book club will be reading by him this coming year! Thanks for creating this awesome blog, Matt and Dana! Great work.

    ReplyDelete