Thursday, January 14, 2016

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

Dana says: First book of the year for Ladies Book Club in 2016! This particular Steinbeck book was thrown in the suggestion box which is how I came to choose it. 

I find myself with similar feelings as I had about about East of Eden (which we started the book club last year with- maybe starting each year with Steinbeck will be a tradition?). I didn't hate Of Mice and Men as much I hated East of Eden but it is not an enjoyable story either. That being said I do have to admit that though I had a hunch last year I have now become convinced that Steinbeck is a must read author for me. Even though I do not enjoy most of his content, I am blown away by his form. Steinbeck is a masterful writer. His characters are some of the most realistic characters I have ever read in fiction and his descriptions of the settings where the stories take place are also very well done, placing the reader right in the setting- I swear I can feel the air of the Salinas Valley on my skin when I read him! But his content is hard because it is dark and without hope. There is no redemption. This is his weakness or at least it is in my eyes. One last thing to say is that I was surprised to find that the strengths of Steinbeck's writing are just as evident in a little novella such as Mice and Men as they are in the sprawling epic of East of Eden. Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment