Thursday, February 11, 2016

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1895)

Dana says: I think this is the first book I ever read that upon finishing the last page I immediately wanted to start over again on page one. A captivating story, well written, with a lot to think about. A fascinating look into Rome and the early Christians. My favorite aspect of the book was the conversion of the main character and the way he changes over the course of the book. I also found myself really loving the character of Petronius and wanting to stop and pray for his salvation!  I enjoyed all aspects of this book minus the ridiculous Roman Catholic agenda that is artifically stuck into the story.  This is a small part of the story and the author was a Roman Catholic so I don't blame him but I also don't buy it.   Anyway, this is definitely in my top ten fiction books of all time list.  Highly recommended.

Matt says: I think this certainly qualified as an epic. It is vast, historic and personal. The historical aspect of the book, getting a dramatized vision of life under Nero was my favorite part. The way the Roman's lived, their dying "spirituality," the degradation of humanity all made the world ripe for Christianity. I've often wandered why Christ came when he did, not earlier or later in history, which seems to be so obvious once Roman society is so vividly described. I enjoyed all of the characters. I think the story was artful. The emotional outpourings of love were a little too much for my taste. I would 100% recommend this book for anyone interested in Rome in the 1st century and the spread of Christianity under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment