Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

Dana says: This was my first George MacDonald book and was recommended for my Ladies' Book Club by a few of my girlfriends who love it. I did enjoy it even though I felt like I was reading a children's book. I normally do not read fantasy and found the creativity and imagination of MacDonald to be delightful. His depiction of the cob's animals was one of my favorite parts. I also liked the sweet relationship between Irene and her King-papa and the some of the conversations between Irene and Curdie and Curdie and his mother about believing and understanding. I kept waiting for a twist or major revelation of some kind at the end but there really wasn't anything like that.

I think Irene's great great grandmother in this book is supposed to be some kind of God-type figure but she seemed very strange to me and for most of the book I wasn't sure if she was good or evil. I think I expected her to be more of a figure like Aslan is in the Narnia series than what George MacDonald portrays in this book. Maybe I will change my mind after the Ladies' Book Club discussion...

No comments:

Post a Comment