Monday, June 29, 2015

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

"Armed with only his wits and his cunning, one man recklessly defies the French revolutionaries and rescues scores of innocent men, women, and children from the deadly guillotine. His friends and foes know him only as the Scarlet Pimpernel. But the ruthless French agent Chauvelin is sworn to discover his identity and to hunt him down."
 Dana says: I had never heard of this book until my friend Shelley suggested it for my ladies classics book club a few month ago. I am glad I added it to the reading list as I really enjoyed the book. It did take me about 50 pages to get into it but from then on it was hard to put down. Very fast paced with surprises, suspense, heros, villains, romance and historical insight into France and Britain during the late 18th century. I enjoyed the characters (even if Margarite Blankely is rediculously vain) and found Orczy's writing to be quite smart and entertaining. I even learned a few new words! Highly recommended for anyone who likes a good adventure story with good writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment